General Council 44
General Council is the decision-making body of the United Church as a whole. It brings together Commissioners (those elected to be members of this meeting of the General Council) to help set the course for the future of the United Church. The 44th General Council will meet online only in July 22 – 26, 2022. This will be the first time in the church’s 97-year history that the triennial meeting will not be in person. Education sessions on the business coming to the 44th General Council will begin in February 2022.
Western Ontario Waterways Regional Council has prepared three videos promoting Commissioners and, while the details are specific for that regional council, the content is informative for all.
Horseshoe Falls Regional Council will be electing 12 Commissioners to accompany then President Robert Lawson to General Council 44, for a total of 13 Commissioners. As you consider General Council 44 Commissioner nominations, and who to vote for during the election of our HF commissioners, remember the importance of reflecting the diversity of our denomination. Also, consider the diversity we as a church want (or need) as we seek to live out God’s mission. Ask yourself questions like:
- Whose voices need to be heard in this decision-making body of our church?
- Who’s missing from the table?
- Whose wisdom, insights and experience can best contribute to the conversations and actions at GC44?
Let these questions – and others that Spirit brings – aid you in your decision-making.
Process for Election of Commissioners
Please consider who has the gifts to serve as a Commissioner and encourage them (or yourself) to let their name stand as a nominee.
At its November 9, 2019 meeting, the regional council agreed to the following process for the election of commissioners:
- Have an initial round of voting to elect the following:
- One (1) Indigenous Commissioner.
The process to secure nominations for these positions to be determined in consultation with Indigenous ministries.
- Four (4) Commissioners who self-identify as meeting the areas of diversity outlined in The Manual, with attention to diversity of ability both visible and invisible.
- One (1) Indigenous Commissioner.
- Have a second round of voting to elect the balance of Commissioners. Any positions not filled in the first round will be filled by the second. Any nominees not elected in the first round will be on the ballot for the second round.
Any positions described under section A) not filled at the May 2021 meeting and any other vacancies and alternates will be elected at the HFRC Fall 2021 meeting.
The Position Description for General Council 44 Commissioners can be downloaded here.
- A full member of a United Church of Canada congregation within the bounds of this regional council (The Manual, 2021 Section B.3.3.);
- Time to prepare for General Council by familiarizing themselves with the material in advance and participating in the Listening/Learning online seminars;
Loving the church and longing for its faithful witness and its well-being are valuable qualities for a Commissioner to have.
Click to fill out the General Council Commissioner Nomination Form.
There will be an orientation session for the regional council Commissioners prior to General Council 44. The church is strengthened when there is a mix of experienced and first-time Commissioners.
General Council Proposals (The Manual, 2021 Section F)
Do you have an idea for a way to strengthen the United Church? If so, please consider preparing a proposal. (See The Manual, Section F) Proposals have a set format:
- Originating Body:
- What is the issue?
- Why is this issue important?
- What might the General Council do about it?
Detailed information is laid out in the The Manual, 2021. Click here to view the GC44 Proposal Template. Proposals reach the General Council through the regional council. If submitting a proposal, please do so as soon as possible to allow the agenda and business team time to allow sufficient time for discussion.
If you would find advice helpful in framing the desired action or change as you craft a proposal, please feel free to be in touch with Executive Minister, Cheryl-Ann Stadelbauer-Sampa at email@example.com for assistance. This would be help in terms of format and wording, not advice re the action itself.
Candidates for Moderator
Is the next Moderator of the United Church in our midst? Nominees for Moderator no longer need to be a Commissioner.